December 29, 2010

The Flip-Pal Scanner - Review Part II - The Rest of the Story

For those who are interested in the Flip-Pal Scanner I thought the following information would be of interest.

The Rocky Mountain Ventures Company promises that the
The Flip-Pal team produces patented solutions that solve everyday problems, are simple to operate so many can use them, and have a combination of benefits that are not available anywhere else.

They say, "We do this in order to enrich lives.
Our success is built on a foundation of high core values: Courage, Integrity, Collaboration, Innovation, and Care."

The Flip-Pal Scanner is:

Mobile
Versatile
Keeps your memories safe
Easy and quick
Accurate.

Now let's break down all that this scanner can do.

Mobile:  it can scan images anywhere, anytime and stores scans on an SD memory card.  You can have more than one SD card and that is recommended.  I have a couple others here and I will be going to the Flip-Pal web site to download the needed piece of software to them.

Versatile:  it can scan small to large originals, photos, drawings, quilts, even small objects like coins or jewelry.  Imagine scanning very large family photos or portraits like my husband has of his family and being able to pull all parts together with the stitch software that is included.  Part I explains how this works.

Keep your memories safe:  it can scan album photos in place - you never have to remove a photo from an album ever again.  The cover comes off so you can actually pick up the scan and hold it over an album photo or up against a wall where a portrait or photo might be hung. How many of us have regrettably tried to remove photos from old albums.  Doing that always involves the risk of tearing of even destroying an old photo.  I am also eager to scan my father's medals from World War I!

Accurate:  it scans high quality digital images at 600 and 300 dpi resolution settings.  The higher the setting the faster use of the batteries.  I will have to test both settings to see how long the batteries last.  It also does color restoration.With this color restoration in mind, I am also eager to scan my father's WWI enlistment and discharge papers.  These are the only originals that exist.  I am hoping that the color restoration will sharpen these documents in digital format - this would be great considering these documents are 91 years old.  Certainly worth a try.  I'll let you know if this produces good results.

My first test with the Flip-Pal was to scan an over-sized post card that I purchased in London.  It came out perfect.  A big plus is that there is also a 1.7-inch color LCD display screen that shows you what the scan looks like.

Flip-Pal also has a BLOG with suggestions and ideas on how to use the scanner.  There is a great deal of information on the Flip-Pal site including tutorials.

Mac users can also use the Flip-Pal.  An update:  after this blog was published, a Mac user told me the stitching software does not work with Macs but the company is working on it.  Meanwhile, thefreecountry.com offers free stitching software that she thinks might help her do the job with her Mac.

That is my review of the Flip-Pal Scanner for now.. or at least until I have had more experience using it.

If you want more information, please go to the Flip-Pal Scanner web site.  There is plenty of information available.  A great job has been done informing the public about this great product.

Again, I receive no remuneration in endorsing this product.

Lucie's Legacy
Lucie LeBlanc Consentino
December 29, 2010




4 comments:

Midge Frazel said...

Extremely good review!

Lucie LeBlanc Consentino said...

Thank you Midge. Like you, I just l-o-v-e the Flip-Pal!

Lucie

Susan Clark said...

Another great review that has me longing for this product. Being a Mac user has slowed me down (I need the stitching capability) but I believe the software can run on the Windows side of my machine (I use Parallels).

Lucie LeBlanc Consentino said...

Hi.. thank you for your post.

I included a link for free stitching that another Mac user tells me she will be able to use. You might want to check that out.

Happy New Year!

Lucie