March 2, 2010

Tombstone-less Tuesday

My oldest brother Emile Joseph LeBlanc was born 23 April 1921.  He died 2 January 1925.

My oldest sister Rita Marie Alexina LeBlanc was born 2 May 1922 and died 11 February 1925.

Another brother,  Alphee Joseph Georges LeBlanc, was born 16 February 1931 who died on a date I have not yet found.

At the time my older siblings died my parents could not afford a tombstone so they were all buried in a chldren's portion of Sacred Heart Cemetery, Lawrence, MA along with other children who died and whose parents were too poor to purchase tombstones. In a way,  I guess one could call it a children's "paupers" cemetery.

I have often visited where they are buried and wish I could have known them.  There were six children born to my parents George LeBlanc and Rosanna Levesque LeBlanc.  I often think of how difficult it must have been especially when the first two children died one month apart at such young ages.

When Tombstone Tuesday comes along each week I often think of them being "tombstone-less" so today I decided to blog in their memory.

All rights reserved.
Lucie's Legacy
Lucie LeBlanc Consentino

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is a lovely post and way to commemorate your elder siblings. They should always be remembered.

Lucie LeBlanc Consentino said...

Thank you Wendy - though I never knew them, I think of them so often as I know my parents would continue to do if they were still here.

Lucie

Liz said...

Lucie,

Your writing about them helps to ensure that they will not be forgotten. But perhaps some family members could pitch in together for one marker for the three children? Just a thought.

Liz

Lucie LeBlanc Consentino said...

Hi Liz,

I have thought of that but the problem is that though we know what part of the cemetery they are in, we have no idea where they are exactly buried. I have tried to obtain exactly where and was not able to be given that information. I've often thought that it is too bad that years ago relatives of all the children buried there did not have one big stone installed.

Lucie