March 1, 2010

It's Monday Madness because something always happens

Yes, something always happens.  This past week while I was busy preparing two abstracts as well as my resume that I just submitted for the 11th New England Regional Genealogical Conference scheduled for April 6-10, 2011,  we had a huge storm during the  night Thursday.  Two large pine trees were uprooted in our back yard and debris was scattered throughout our property and deck.  It was quite a mess.  I've been busy cleaning up, calling tree companies for estimates etc.   I must admit I was overwrought for a bit especially when one tree company I've hired a few times to work here attempted to gouge me to the tune of $2,000 to remove the trees.  I could not believe it would cost that much.  My neighbors could not believe that this fellow of all I could call would do that to me.  I decided to call other companies.  The one I chose is charging $800 and consequently I will have him take down some other trees.  So it is win-win for him and win-win for me.

All that to say that I was in such shock that I couldn't get back to the two abstracts I was preparing.  This morning I finally was able to do that.

I want to thank our two daughters Rebecca and Sarah for the encouragement they gave me to complete the task as well as the insight Rebecca gave me in preparing the abstracts.  Rebecca and Sarah were the light at what seemed like a very dark tunnel Friday night after receiving that first estimate.  Anyhow, I picked myself up, dusted myself off and got going to clean up some of the mess.  Today is the deadline to submit the abstracts to NERGC and I was able to get that done a few minutes ago.  Woohoo!!!

So once again, I have been reminded that 1.  God was good to us when those trees fell as they just missed our home; 2.  we must live one day at a time and at times it is just one moment at a time; 3.  life goes on whether we get onboard or not and 4. sooner or later the sun does shine.

There has been a great deal of damage in all of our area.  Some tens of thousands are still without power but fortunately we never lost ours.  So good spared us in many ways.

The wind during the storm was near hurricane force and kept me awake all night.  It sounded like a train that couldn't stop - that is the only way I can describe it.  When our two big trees went down, one of my neighbors said it sounded like a huge pop so loud that she thought a tree had hit her house - it wasn't until daylight that she saw it was our trees.  I looked out at 1:30 and was very concerned with how the trees were swaying back and forth.  I looked out again at 2:30 and the trees were down.  Until daylight I didn't know if it was one or two trees and it turned out to be two.  A most frightening experience let me assure you!

If anyone reading this survived this unbelievable storm take heart - we made it!  After this winter we need a break.  Last winter we all suffered damage from an ice storm and that was a costly cleanup too.. spare us oh Lord! ;o)

All rights reserved.
Lucie's Legacy
Lucie LeBlanc Consentino

11 comments:

Barbara Poole said...

Lucie, Glad you are ok, and the proposals got done. Would be nice to see you at NERGC, and as a new speaker (or did you do it before)? The area really got hit hard (not here, prob. what 25 miles from you). Anyway, glad everything is now fine. What a scare.

Lucie LeBlanc Consentino said...

Thank you Barbara!

This would be my first time speaking at a NERGC conference. Every time I see the groups represented I don't believe there has ever been an Acadian speaker so I've decided to submit and see what happens. One abstract is on Acadian mtDNA and the other on Acadian History & Genealogy. We'll see what happens ;o)

Lucie

Lucie LeBlanc Consentino said...

PS Barbara.. I live in the Merrimack Valley and it was badly hit.

Heather Wilkinson Rojo said...

Hi Lucie, I'm glad the tree didn't land on your house! Up here in Londonderry we had a lot of damage, and just got our lights back last night. There are still trees, wires and telephone poles down across our road. I have no idea how we have lights today, but I'm not complaining!

Lucie LeBlanc Consentino said...

Wow Heather!! Well in the end I think all that matters is that we did not get hurt!.. it has to be difficult to be without power..Glad to you have lights today - it was really a frightful storm!

Lucie

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness, what a start to your weekend! Glad to hear that nobody was hurt.

Wishing you all the best with your resume and abstract submission to NERGC!!!

Lucie LeBlanc Consentino said...

Thank you Wendy - it was a frightening experience to be sure.

I am hopeful that my abstracts will be accepted by NERGC ;o)

Lucie

Marcelle Comeau said...

What a scary time you had - thank goodness the trees did not damage your home. It's a lot of work and worry in the aftermath too with the clean-up. I'm glad things worked out OK in the end.

Good luck with your Abstract submission!

Marcelle

Lucie LeBlanc Consentino said...

Thank you Marcelle - it really is a frightening experience to see all of the debris - one would not believe without seeing. I must admit that I was pretty discouraged by Saturday morning but our daughters called to encourage me and I picked myself up and got going lol - I cleaned up what I could out back of the house where the trees had fallen. Friday I had cleaned up the driveway and the front lawn but there was still so much to do..anyhow I'm up and running and everything will soon be done. ;o)

Liz said...

Glad you're OK!!!

I like the "life goes on whether or not you're on board" quote -- will have to remember that one. :)

Lucie LeBlanc Consentino said...

Hi Liz.. the tree company finally came to remove those downed trees today. What a relief! They could not believe how they missed the house.

Yes.. whether or not we are onboard, life does go on! ;o)